We are so excited to be bringing you the “Shamrock Spotlight Series” on our blogs! The Yuengling Shamrock Marathon, 1/2 Marathon, 8k Races bring thousands of runners, of all ages, abilities and locations, to the Virginia Beach oceanfront every year! As J&A Racing Live Love Run Ambassadors, we decided we wanted to celebrate these races, J&A Racing, and our community by doing a series that highlights participants, both local and out of town, on their journey to this years’ races.
We were incredibly fortunate to get the response we did when asking for volunteers to be spotlighted, and are grateful for the opportunity to share their stories with you!
SHAMROCK SPOTLIGHT SERIES: ALEXANDER BARCELÓ
Age: 25 years old
Current City: Salem, Virginia
Training for the Shamrock Half Marathon
“I started my weight loss journey about two years ago and when I started I was 398lb and starting to develop medical problems. I am now over 150lb lighter. Also I lost my brother Chuck DeLoach to cancer in 2009 and this weekend would have been the weekend of his 4oth birthday. I decided that he loved to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day so this would be a perfect opportunity to honor him and compete in my first half marathon”
1. Why are you running Shamrock? I have gotten into running since my weight loss. I was going to wait till 2015 to do my first half. But with this landing on what would have been my brothers 40th birthday weekend. I figure this was a great way to honor him and a challenge to get ready for.
2. When did you start running? Back in September 2013
3. How many races have you done and what’s your favorite? I have done 7 5k, have a 10k planned on March 1st. My favorite was the Zombie Run back in October; it was like living out an episode of my favorite TV show The Walking Dead.
4. Where do you prefer to run? At the local park Green Hill Park down the road from where I live in Salem.
5. What’s the longest distance you’ve run? I did 9.8 miles so far a few weeks ago.
6. What is the one thing you DON’T like about running? The pain in my shins when I first really get going
7. Favorite post-run indulgence? My Cellucor vanilla protein mixed with some orange juice. Tastes like a Orange Creamsicle.
8. Favorite running shoe? Asics, Gel-Noosa Tri8
9. Favorite song to run to? Riot, Three Days Grace
10. Favorite website to waste time on? Myfitnesspal.com
11. Favorite running moment? Finishing second for my age group at the Resolution 5k in Roanoke, VA on January 1st
12. If you could pick one celebrity to run with, who would it be? Priest Holmes #31, Former RB for the Kansas City Chiefs. He was my favorite player as a kid and was a great sports role model.
Good Luck Alexander!
You can follow Alexander on his journey to Shamrock on twitter: Twitter.com/saleenking88